Saturday, January 8, 2011

A Weekend in Gießen (November 27-29, 2010)

So this week Tyler came to visit and we had a traditional Thanksgiving with all the AYF people. Everyone brought a dish to pass. I made 10 lbs of mashed potatoes --> Never Again. We used all four burners on the stove top trying to get them done on time but in the end it turned out well. Cliona and Anne-Marie came too! It was so cool to share it with them because it was their first Thanksgiving EveR! Then we went out as usual so I wasn't feeling too hot the next day but I spent Friday showing Tyler around Freiburg.

Saturday we traveled to Giessen to visit the Orths. It was such a fun time! So nice to actually spend some time with a family. Felix picked us up from the train station and we drove to Lollar. We had a really good lunch that his mom had made and then that evening we went to Wetzlar. I had been there in 2006 so it was kind of a blast form the past. We sat at the Christmas market for hours drinking Gluhwein and talking. Felix's whole family was there and so was Lena's - his girlfriend - and her whole family. This Christmas market was so much different than the one in Freiburg. It had wood chips on the ground and heaters to stand by. It had much more of a cozy feeling to it. There was people singing Christmas songs and so much food you can't even imagine. here was also a guy there making ornaments form scratch! He had a blow torch that heated up this ball and then stick this straw-like thing into it, blow it like a bubble and WALA! There was a glass ornament. Of course I'm a sucker and had to buy one. :)
After sitting there for a few hours and having steak and wurst sandwiches we left and went back to Lollar to a bar called the "Alabama." This place of course I have heard many stories about so I was excited to go. A few of Felix's friends came and we all had drinks and an amazing feast! It was such good food except that we had been eating all day!! After dinner we got the tour of the whole thing. It had a bar area and a place to shoot pool and play darts. Then there was a back room that Ollie had just added on, it was this huge elaborate dinning room that was all white and had a piano on the stage in the back. So cute! Then off of that room was an area for smokers and another bar with a dinning room. We spent the rest of the night there having a few drinks, smoking the Shisha, chilling and playing pool. It was a blast!

The next day we got up and had a feast of a breakfast like the Germans usually do. Then Teresa had sent some presents for the family so they opened them and i took pictures to show her. Then I was off to have lunch with Fee, my GAPP partner from four years ago. Talk about another blast from the past! She picked me up and we were off to lunch with her mom and Tom (who was five the last time I saw him- we never really talked the last time because I was terrible at German and he was so shy so we played some soccer but that was about it.) NOW! The kid never stoppedtalking!! He was so cute! We had lunch and Fee filled me in on her job. (so crazy) She goes to school part of the week then flits all over Germany planning and organizing huge events for car companies and TV shows like "Germany's Got Talent." It was so nice to catch up with them!

After lunch the Orths picked me up and we were off to Frankfurt to the Christmas Market. The one was HUGE!! I had Apple wine for the first time and I have to admit I like it a lot more than Gluhwen. We bought heart shaped cookies which double as ornaments and are the size of a magazine. Very German I have to say. We spent the rest of the evening there and then traveled the hour back to Lollar where we had dinner.. at a CASTLE! The food was Amazing! I had chicken with this really good salad and of course bread which was always amazing as usual. Im telling you you haven't had bread until you've had German bread.
We left the following morning and I got back and had class as usual. One crazy fun weekend I had so much delicious food and so much Christmas Gluhwein. The Orths were beyond nice and really wined and dined us. I had a blast!!

No comments:

Post a Comment